Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Blog #2

I think the things in the book Louie chooses to stand up to are very good. When he finds out his coach told Boomer to try and knock out Washington it made him very upset. Just because Washington is a really good player and they don't want to loose, doesn't mean they have the right to hurt him just so they can win. I think its a really wrong thing to do and I would consider it as cheating. Even though no one admitted it I also think they wanted him out of the game just because he was black. I feel like it was not a good strategy to use, and Louie felt the same way. When he did his little outburst, you would think more people would respect it and not be mad. Although he did interrupt an important football game, it was for a good reason. He did what he felt was right and not many people have the guts to do that. I also think Louie is the type of guy who is caring and has a lot of emotion, basically he is a softy. Unlike most guys who keep there feelings inside he choose to share them out loud. It may have been a good idea to bring his issue to the coaches before he shouted them at the public football game. But he did what he did. He got kicked off the team, which seams a little harsh because it really wasn’t that big of deal. I mean it was, because it could have got there team in trouble but nothing happened so it shouldn’t be that big of a consequence.

Later, his other little out burst in the church happened too. If I were his parents, yeah, I would be a little embarrassed but I do feel you should stand up for what you believe. Becky would have been proud of him and I think that’s another reason he did it. I like in the book how Norm was behind him a 100% even though he didn’t fully agree with what he did. He stood up for Louie and backed him up and I thought that was really cool. It shows him and his parents have a good relationship, just like him and Becky did. Also another close relationship he had was with Becky’s father. I think they had a good relationship because they were dealing with the same things. It was hard on the both of them and they learned how to cope together. When Louie came to apologize after the funeral, Becky’s dad said he didn’t even care, and wish he had the guts to do the same thing. They talked about stuff and just kept each other company. I bet they talked about all the things they loved about Becky.

Eventually Louie learned on his own that he can’t dwell in the past and has to live his life. He got better with speaking his mind but still a few things he had to take a stand for. After Becky’s death the school made a plaque with her name and everything on it. They put it under a tree in the school yard. Louie did go to the ceremony for it. He just couldn’t. He felt he would probably cry and make a bigger fool out of him self. He couldn’t stand not to see it so he went over there one day. It read:

BECKY SANDERS 1964-1982

THS 1-2-3-4 Cheerleader 2-3-4 Student Council 2-3-4 Class
President 2 Honor Society 2-3-4 Band 1-2-3-4 Cougarettes 1-2-3-4
Girls’ State 3 Canrival Queen 3 Class Play 4 Valedictorian 4

A shining and joyous example of all that
Trout High School aspires to be

Anthony Jasper
Superintendent/ President
Trout High School 1982
[crutcher 198]

Louie was mad that Mr. Jasper singed it. He was the one who kicked him off the team and suspended him. How could he sign Becky’s plaque? He was not apart of Becky. This really aggregated Louie. He copped it with an ax and hid all the evidence. There were just some things he couldn’t let go no matter how hard he tried.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kooper,
Thanks for reminding me what the plaque said. That whole scene was just funny and sad at the same time. It was a nice little ending to the story wasn't it? I liked how you put yourself in other people's perspective instead of just Louis'. It got me thinking about how the people around Louis were affected. I enjoyed reading your blog.

Jack said...

koop,
I agree with you in the fact that people should’ve respected it when Louie had his deal, but you’ve gotta think, do they really know what is going on here. Just because one player decked another, they must’ve just thought that it was an accident. I mean, then when Banks [Louie] started to have a spaz, I think the people in the audience would just agree that he should be taken off the field. Finally, I think your blogs are very well written and I find myself agreeing with many of the things that you analyze in the book.

koop ♥ said...

Jack.
I agree they probably had no idea what Louie was talking about. But I think everyone would be talking about it after so they might get the hint, but you are right. But thnaks for the comment!
Koop.

koop ♥ said...

Zack.
I do think what he did to the plaque was very funny. He was doing really well in school and holding his anger in but then he went and did this. And he said he didnt do it. I think they had an idea that Louie did it but i think they let him slide because they knew Beckys death was still hard on him. And I like how they ended the book also, dont you?
Koop.